Credit: TeroVesalainen |

Where & How to Report A Sexual Assault in Seattle [links & resources]

It’s common for sexual assault survivors to question whether or not they should contact law enforcement and report their assault. Easy enough to say ‘yes, of course you should!’.

Until it happens to you.

Hopefully it never has, or never will.

But in light of all the media attention in recent, and the trending #metoo, #IBelieveYou and more I thought it might be a good idea to have EASY access to who and how to report here in the NW.  Took me awhile to actually locate some of these links.  That shouldn’t be the case either.  That said, I hope the below helps.  Included on some of these sites are what to do if you suspect a friend, family member or co-worker of being sexually assaulted.

If you are in imminent danger, please call 911.


King County Sexual Assault Resource Center’s (KCSARC’s)  (HERE)

Our purpose is to alleviate, as much as possible, the trauma of sexual assault for victims and their families. Our mission is to give voice to victims, their families, and the community; create change in beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors about violence; and instill courage for people to speak out about sexual assault.’

WSCAP: Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs  (Full List of Resources HERE)

There are 38 Community Sexual Assault Programs (CSAPs) that are accredited by the Washington Office of Crime Victims Advocacy in Washington State. Trained advocates may provide the following services:

  • Free, confidential 24/7 hotline
  • information about sexual assault
  • referral to other community service providers
  • crisis intervention and on-going support
  • medical and legal advocacy, community awareness, outreach and prevention activities


  • If this was a recent assault, get medical care immediately.  Hospital staff can assist you in calling 9-1-1 if you wish.
  • Even if you are not in immediate danger and the assault happened in the past, you can just say “It is not an emergency, but I want to report a sexual assault…”
  • It is best to call and wait for police somewhere that is comfortable for you. The patrol officer(s) will arrive based on the current case demands.
  • Choose a place where you would be able to give an initial statement to the officers. If you go to a police precinct, be aware that you may have to wait for patrol officers to respond there.

You will also find on this site…

What happens after I make an initial report?

What is a Victim Advocate?

What should I do if my friend reports sexual assault to me?

About Shellie Hart

Your workday host is a longtime Seattle Radio Midday Air-Personality. Shellie grew up in Burien and now lives in West Seattle. She’s the on-court Entertainment Emcee for our 3X WNBA Championship Team SEATTLE STORM. Shellie is also committed to Children’s Hospital who once participated weekly in their CHILD LIFE Program, dedicating over a 100 hours of volunteer time annually. People ask all the time, “What’s your favorite part of the job?”, and my response is YOU! Sure I get to meet all kinds of famous people, but it’s engaging with the people and their Northwest families that makes me happy”