Are you bringing your kid along to the job today? Millions of kids will be joining a parent at their workplace. (Most of them are probably a little older than that kid in the picture!) This holiday has gained momentum over the years — here’s what it’s all about, according to the TODASTW website:
Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work® encourages girls and boys across the country to dream without gender limitations and to think imaginatively about their family, work and community lives. This national, public education program connects what children learn at school with the actual working world. Children learn that a family-friendly work environment is an employer and family issue and not just a woman’s issue. Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work helps girls and boys across the nation discover the power and possibilities associated with a balanced work and family life.
I’d love to bring my son into work with me, but since I get up at 3:15am, here’s where Dawson is this morning while Daddy works:
What are the best and worst jobs to take your daughter or son to? According to the Arizona Republic newspaper, the best jobs for your kid to shadow you are:
3. Firefighter: There is, of course, the satisfaction of spending a day helping others, but let’s face it: riding in a fire truck is the coolest. And if the kid is extra lucky, their fire station might have a pole.
2. Astronaut: Obviously. The space suits. The helmets. Zero G. Astronaut ice cream. The satisfaction of being able to say, “My mommy/daddy is an astronaut” in front of your class on career day.
1. Stay-at-home parent: Because being a stay-at-home parent is a job, and a hard one at that. Plus, you can’t put a price on a little extra family time.
And the worst:
3. Teacher: You have a free pass to get out of school for a day, and you have to spend it in a classroom. Life is a cruel joke.
2. Congressperson: Give your kids a few more years of unshattered idealism before exposing them to the tedium, dysfunction and posturing of government. They’ll learn how broken the system is soon enough.
1. Celebrity: Sure, there’s the fabulous wealth and all it buys (diamond-studded bassinets, designer baby shoes, your very own pony), but I’ve got one word for you: paparazzi.
Check out the whole list here.