What makes you crazy behind the wheel? This morning, while driving to work in the dark, a guy behind me had his brights on and stayed on my bumper. I finally pulled over to let him by. Good grief... who could be in such a hurry at 3am, and so inconsiderate? Any more, it seems to be the norm.
Well, according to a Consumer Reports survey, texters top the list of most annoying drivers. Consumer Reports polled 895 Americans in a January 2012 telephone survey and asked the respondents to rate 20 common driver complaints on a scale from one (not annoyed) to 10 (very annoyed).
Texting while driving (8.9), able-bodied drivers parking in handicapped spaces (8.7) and tailgaters (8.4) were the top three gripes.
Age and gender had a lot to do with the results: Women were more irritated by texters and tailgaters, and younger drivers were less bothered by loud music than older motorists.
Most annoying behaviors on a scale of 1-10:
• Texting on a cell phone while driving 8.9
• Able-bodied drivers parking in handicapped spaces 8.7
• Tailgaters 8.4
• Drivers who cut you off 8.3
• Speeding and swerving in and out of traffic 8.2
• Taking up two parking spaces 7.7
• Talking on a cell phone while driving 7.6
• Not letting you merge into a lane 7.6
• Not dimming high beams when approaching 7.6
• Not using turn signals 7.5
• Slow drivers dawdling in the passing lane 7.3
• Jaywalkers stepping in front of your car 7.3
• Excessive horn honking 7.1
• Slowing down to “rubberneck” at accidents 7.0
• Not turning on lights when it’s raining or at dusk 6.8
• Drivers who are indecisive about where to turn 6.6
• Slow drivers on a two-lane road who won’t pull over 6.5
• Not going when the light turns green 6.1
• Bicyclists who don’t let you by 5.8
• Cranking up the radio volume 5.7
Can you think of something they left off the list?