With nearly 20,000 Northwest kids in foster care, it’s difficult for foster families and organizations to meet the needs of every child. To help, Sleep Country USA is collecting new winter coats for local foster kids. But they can’t do it without you. Bring your gift of a new, warm coat to any Sleep Country location, and it will be given to a foster child in need location. Or donate online at sleepcountry.com.
Sleep Country knows not everyone can be a foster parent, but anyone can help a foster child.
- There are 542,000 children and youth in foster care on any given day in the United States. Only 48% of those are living with licensed foster care parents, and 25% of children in foster care never return home.
- When children are pulled out of the home and placed into foster care, they often go weeks without being enrolled in a new school. Once enrolled, they may have already missed critical curriculum.
- At age eighteen, 66% leave foster care without a high school diploma, 61% have no job experience, and 35% end up on welfare.
- Enrichment programs such as sports, arts activities and summer camp – experiences that contribute to a child’s confidence and interactive skills – reach only a small percentage of children in foster care.
- Students in foster care repeat a grade twice as often as other students.
- Foster children, on average, score 15-20 percent below other children on statewide achievement tests.
- Sleep Country USA operates over 80 stores in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. To find the Sleep Country nearest you call 1-888-88-SLEEP, or visit sleepcountry.com.