In fact, Renton Police report that car thefts alone have spiked 22% in the past year in King County. As the darkness grows longer, cold weather moving in AND the holidays and shopping…all perfect for car prowlers.
Here’s what authorities say car owners should watch out for and be aware of:
1. Older cars are the biggest target for thieves.
2. If you have a security system in your car, use it.
3. Don’t leave a key inside your car or where a thief can find it.
4. Don’t leave your car alone as it’s warming up.
5. Car thefts are happening way too often and to more people than we realize.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau says the top two most stolen cars in Washington State are Honda Civics and Honda Accords typically from 1996 or 1998.
Story source: KOMO 4 News (HERE).