They are all a great bunch of brothers and masters of the Bering Sea fishery. The 9th season of Deadliest Catch premiers next Tuesday night at 9pm on Discovery Channel. The program airs in 170 countries worldwide. What a major fan base they all have being from the little dock area of Seattle’s Fishermen’s Terminal and Ballard. I had the pleasure to help these guys with the Sea Star Tours project a few years ago. We had the boat at Fishermen’s terminal for daily tours and crew members also ran a store of souvenirs. Capt Larry, Sig and Phil, Edgar, Kenny, Mike and others were all part of this and really had a blast sharing such a world with everyone. As many of the boats have shuffled over the years and the loss of Phil, the show still manages to amaze viewers each year. Some facts of DC that you perhaps did not know?
*Nobody gets paid; they can’t because it would lose “Reality Documentary" status.
*Cameras cannot be turned off once you leave the dock at Dutch. If you do you will likely be removed from the show.
* No music played while on deck (Like we see in Perfect Storm movie). Copy Rights and permission for Rock and Roll on TV you know.
* King Crab season is in October for about 2 weeks, Oplio season (Ice Season) is in January until quota is reached (as late as April)
* Most crab goes to Japan then to America. 3-4 months before you see it in store.
* Over the years a few crab (kept alive) were brought back to Seattle and dropped in Puget Sound to see if King Crab would develop a new world here.
* King Crab pile up on each other to reach higher water to grab fish for food. Some piles have been reported as high as 3-4 stories tall.
* Only Males are kept. Females are released
* Most of the fishermen of the show are from the greater Seattle area or live in other parts of the State and also in Oregon.
* men and women still head down to the docks of Fishermen’s Terminal in hopes to meet a Captain or crew member and ask for a job.
* Tour around Fishermen’s Terminal and you will see many of the boats of the first 8 seasons and the Fishermens Memorial. You will often see crew members and Captains of the show. What security?