The Seafair 2013 season kicks off this Frdiay, June 21st, at 11am at Westlake Center in Seattle. It is at this time that you will hear of the 75 events that take 6 weeks and thousands of volunteers to make it happen. Seafair has also decided to add some fun to this celebration of community. They want to "knight" various individuals for efforts over the years in supporting Seafair and sharing its excitement with all. When Seafair approached me on my contributions I was amazed how much there was in meeting criteria for this honor. Some of that list includes......
* My sister having honors to drive a Seafair convertable long ago for Sonny and Cher.
* I worked at The Edgewatewr as a food server in the 70s' This is home to many of the Race Boat teams each year. Bernie Little and Bill Muncey were regulars among others...you too Chip!
* I was Cabin Boy Christopher of The Seattle Seafair Pirates 84-89 (I had custom water ski's and was towed behind Moby Duck. I also have DUCK credentials to drive a Duck, in water too!
* I was Pit Tower announcer 85-87 at Hydro races and brought first TV on the tower for Referee's to have better view of race coarse.
* I have appeared in all Seafair Parades among communities (not all as a Pirate by the way)
* My cousin Mike was part of Budwieser Racing Crew and longtime family friend Jeff helped create the safer cockpits of todays hydroplanes.
* A former girlfriend's sister married Dean Chenoweth (Hydro driver)
* I was on Magnolia/Seafair Summer Festival Board for 5 years and with efforts help them win the Boeing Seafair Award for best use of Seafair theme one Summer.
* I was one of 3 Seafair Pirates to hoist first Jolly Roger on top of Space Needle (no safety straps or net) ...Okay, I was a crazy kid and have good balance.
Wow, I guess I have done some great contributing to this annual event of Seattle's Summer.
firstname.lastname@example.org (after Friday it will be Sir Mark, right?)