If you work from home, or work in a progressive tech-industry office where dogs are welcome, it’s no big deal. But for most of us, work is a no-pet zone — except for today, which is Take Your Dog To Work Day.
Here are some bullet points about the day from Pet Sitters International:
- TYDTWDay® was first celebrated in 1999. This year marks the 17th annual event.
- It was created by Pet Sitters International (PSI) to celebrate the great companions dogs make and promote their adoptions.
- The event encourages employers to experience the joys of pets in the workplace for one day to support their local pet community.
- TYDTWDay is an annual event and is always celebrated on the Friday following Father’s Day.
- It also accommodates cat lovers (and other pets) and those who cannot participate on TYDTWDay. The entire week leading up to the event, June 22-26, is Take Your Pet To Work Week™.
- Event creator PSI is the world’s largest educational association for professional pet sitters. For any day pets can’t be at work, pet owners can search PSI’s Official Pet Sitter Locator free-ofcharge to find a local professional pet sitter.
- PSI feels that through the events, non-pet owners are able to witness the special bond their coworkers have with their pets firsthand and be encouraged to adopt a new best friend of their own.
What do you think? Are you going to bring Sparky in to work today? (You might want to clear it with HR before you turn your workplace into a kennel!) I know this — as fun as it might be to have my dogs Zoe and Gizmo here at the radio station, this is where they’ll actually be for pretty much the entire day: