Walk With Friendship
“Walk With Friendship” helps to raise awareness and funds to increase programs and activities that directly helps so many families and children with special needs! The annual walk-a-thon will be held on Sunday, October 21st, in downtown Mercer Island and culminating at Mercerdale Park in the heart of Mercer Island.
Go to www.walkwithfriendship.com and start making a difference today!
The Friendship Circle of Washington is a community based non-profit organization that provides programs and activities to special needs children and their families.
More info about the Friendship Circle:
The Friendship Circle extends a helping hand to families who have children with special needs and involves them in a full range of social experiences. The Circle's unique formula introduces teenage volunteers to the children with special needs, and through shared experiences, both are enriched.
Every member of our community deserves to share the joys of friendship and love. Sharing out time and energy with children who have special needs is particularly rewarding.
- The Friendship Circle offers a unique opportunity for teenagers to connect with these children.
- The Friendship Circle touches so many lives within our community...
- The child with special needs looks forward to a weekly visit and the opportunity to play with and learn from their older friends.
- The teenage volunteer learns the value of giving and cherishes the experience of making a difference in a child's life and bringing a smile to the child's face.
- The child's family gets a needed respite and the pleasure of seeing their child become part of the community circle.
Based on the bedrock foundation of ‘Love your fellow as yourself”, it is the Friendship Circle’s mission to:
- ENGAGE children and teens with special needs through a full range of experiences.
- RESPITE & SUPPORT to parents and families of children with special needs.
- ENRICH, INSPIRE & MOTIVATE teenagers through sharing their time and emotions with others.
- RESPONSIBILITY & CONNECTION to the community for teenagers through education and social opportunities.
- INCLUSION & FRIENDSHIP for people with special needs and their families—not suffering social isolation.
- DEVELOPING leaders of tomorrow.
We envision a world in which people with special needs and their families experience acceptance, inclusion and friendship as contributing members of society. We foresee a future where they never again have to suffer the social isolation that has often been so prevalent in society. The Friendship Circle aims to create an environment for teens that will nurture and inspire them with meaning, purpose, and self-value; a sense of connection to and responsibility for our community through innovative and stimulating programs. We see this as essential in developing and producing the members and leaders of tomorrow - our future.